Prayers

Mar 28, 2015

The Eagle Has Landed......And Built a Nest......


So a friend of mine called me last weekend and said they had found an eagle's nest.  I was very excited and traveled to see it.

I made a journey by car, on a highway, switched to a four wheeler, through a field, walked through some quasy-muddy timber, and came upon this.



There were lots of smaller trees between us, but my chief concern was attack.  Eagles are not to be toyed with and I could just see us getting snatched bald-headed if not decapitated by some miffed parent who can see for a mile, possibly miles, people(!), and has claws and a beak that can break your bones.  Or pluck your eyes right out of your head.  Or just your tongue, first, depending on it's mood.....You get the picture.  Safety first, when at all possible.  


Now, my friend, being a more practical and reality based, rather soothing presence, was just worrying about eagle poop.  So we stayed out of range of THAT and used our camera's to zero in.  I don't know if this is Mr. or Mrs. Eagle, but since they never actually pointed their beady little eye at us and at least screeched "just to let you know I see you, you nosy little creatures!", I think it was the Mr.  I could be wrong, of course.  It just seemed to have that "don't bother me unless I have to kill someone", kind of male vibe, to me.



But I could be wrong.  I am no expert. All I wanted was not to be attacked, snatched bald-headed, or have my eyes plucked out of my head by an angry eagle parent.  
So, we took lots of pictures.


He did not lower himself to notice our presence, which was the most I could have hoped for, and we just watched him (or her) look around and I assume guard the nest.  I guess if there were eggs someone would be sitting on them, anyway.  Maybe she was and he was guarding both heart and home.  But we never saw 2 at the same time.


It was a great time.  I didn't even notice any bugs or mosquitos.  It might have still been too cold at night.  But just look at that nest!  And that bird!  One of my favorite parts about being down here is that I see eagles almost every day. 



But not like this!  Remember to always look up.  Lots of stuff goes on that is simply amazing and most people don't even lift up their heads to see it.  Lori used to say that, and it has always been so true.  She comes back to me a lot lately.  She would have loved this, and it was so good to have her with us in spirit.  

It was a good day.

We stayed there long enough for me to imagine a story around this knothole in a tree


As a doorway for some small forest creature.........


What lies through the door?  A mansion?  Cobwebs?  A snake that will eat you up?  A wise owl that will take you in?  We don't know.  .......and I've wandered completely away from the subject at hand, but that's how it goes in the woods.  I think you probably need some time in the woods.  I know I did.

I prescribe some time outside with the sun warm on your shoulder's, wild flowers blooming, some mud, some green new grass, and if you are very lucky, an eagle suffering your presence with resignation.  You will feel better.  Unless the eagle attacks you!!  Don't forget to be safe first!!  Yeah, I have a little bit of a thing about that!  

Happy Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are my thoughts, which sometimes drive me crazy and sometimes keep me sane, but are always entertaining. I call this Lace Your Days With Hope because I can't find enough hope to make an entire quilt out of. Stay tuned, and add your own!